Anreise
Abreise
 
Italian - ItalyEnglish (United Kingdom)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)French (Fr)

machen Sie eine Reservierung

Unsere Zimmer

Aktuelle Angebote


Giotto Belltower
There are no translations available.

This bell tower takes its name from the fact that it was designed by the great artist Giotto. It rises, slender and sheer, to the right of the cathedral. It is clad in polychrome marble. Its plan is square and it is reinforced at the corners by octagonal buttresses. It stands 84.7 m. tall.

Giotto first began work in 1334. By the time the artist died, he had completed only the lower order, with its distinctive reliefs set in hexagonal panels. Work continued under the supervision of Andrea Pisano and was completed in 1359 under Francesco Talenti who was responsible for the top three floors, which are marked by broad gabled twin- and three-light mullioned windows. These lighten the massive structure, which terminates in a high crowing cornice.

The sculptures, reliefs and statues are an integral part of the structure and not mere decorative elements